Our complete Italian side sword features our basic side sword blade, ebonized hardwood handle and barrel profile pommel. We offer 3 finishes: “Bright”, a bright antiqued satin metal finish. “Blued”, a heat blued finish. Naturally darker, more durable and rust prohibitive than chemical bluing. Finally, “Polished”, a bright shiny deep polish that provides the best rust resistance and detail preservation. We offer two tip types: Normal Tip (NT) (+$0.00), the standard rounded tip that easily accepts a rubber blunt and Spatulated Tip (ST) (+$10.00), a swelled and rounded tip that offers tip width of no less than 5mm (for groups that don’t like the rubber tip).
The guard features a set of posts and a bar that sweeps over the knuckles and merges with the knuckle bow on the knuckle side and forward pointing loop at the front of the guard on the finger side. Although we have called this our Italian side sword, this guard style was popular all over western Europe.
Customization options for the Italian side sword include:
- Blade length – choose from 34″, 36″ or 38″ including ricasso.
- Guard and pommel finish – choose from bright, blued and polished.
- Tip type – choose from normal or spatulated tip.
Specifications (based on 36″ model):
- Total weight – 2 lbs. 9 oz.
- P.O.B. – 3.5″ from the quillions.
- Grip length – 3.5″.
- Curved top quillion and no bottom quillion.
- Pommel weight – 11.2 oz.
- Blade set to Crossover SCA Rapier/C&T and HEMA Flex (F3)– Medium heavy stiffness, compliant to SCA Rapier and Cut & Thrust calibration. 1″ – 1.5″ drop @ 6 oz. (170 gr). Recommended flex for SCA Rapier and Cut & Thrust dual duty, WMA and HEMA armored combat.